Monday, July 4, 2011

What do you get when you cross an airplane and a 11 week old baby? If you answered one nervous momma, you are right!
I was making my first trip since giving birth, with my new baby and it was just the two of us. Days before leaving I felt my anxiety increase. Something about being 35,000 feet in the air with my newborn just didn't seem fun! Nonethless, Jackson and I headed to St. Louis to see my parents and for the most part our trip was the way I like it-uneventful.
I had really organized and planned (um, maybe obsessesd is a better choice of words) how I was going to get through the airport with my baby and luggage. I ended up taking my car seat and my light weight snap and go stoller. It was definitley the way to go because after checking my bags I could store my diaper bag/purse beneath the car seat in the stroller basket which allowed me to get through security a little easier. However, let me tell you other traveling mommas, there is no way to get through security with a baby, unless you have some help. Thankfully there are still good, kind hearted people, because each way I had help through security, and it made it a much smoother expierence.
On the plane, Jackson did beautifully. He was just an angel, the man behind me even commented he didn't notice I had a baby on my lap when he stood up behind me. Also, on the way back to Maryland, the pilot welcomed baby Jackson over the speakers. I only encountered one rude person on the way to Saint Louis and you could tell he just wasn't a baby person. As soon as we sat down he said, "I hope that baby isn't going to cry". I was horrified and wanted to move, but decided I would tough it out and deal. I mean, really, what kind of a person says something like that to a young mother or anyone for that matter. Jackson was great and didn't make a peep, so I am glad I saved face in the end.
So for the most part our trip was smooth sailing and and we had a great time at my parents. Mom had everything set up and ready for Jackson we we arrived. He slept great in his pack in play and loved meeting some new friends, Charlie and Sarah Grace.
Charlie is Kathryn's son, who also went to Ole Miss. Sarah Grace belongs to my dear friend Sarah who I have known since birth. Who knew that 27 years later we would be getting our babies together. It was pretty cool to see them together.
Now that we have made this trip, I hope my anxiety won't be as severe for future trips. After all, this is just the begining of a lot of travel since family and friends are all over this great country.
Anyways, speaking of, today is America's birthday, and Jackson's 3 month birthday.
Here is what he is up to:
- drinks 5-6 ounces from his bottle
- "talking" making lots of sounds
- still loving his gym (kicking and moving his arms a ton)
- laughing occassionally
- smiling tons
- sleeps 7-8 hours at night (woo-hoo)
- recognizes our voices
- follows people and voices with his eyes
- still loves bath time


Happy 4th of July, hope everyone enjoyed the day!!!!

-Alaina

1 comment:

  1. So proud of little Jackson for being so great on the plane! We had a bad experience on the way to ATL last weekend on our red eye flight, but I reminded David that would be us one day :) hugs and kisses from Cali

    ReplyDelete